Monday, November 21, 2011

11.22.2011 I Come By It Naturally


11.22.2011

Seems the small community newspaper editor put a limit on published opinions from my father, as did the larger metropolitan papers. Often tongue-tied in person, he found print more patient, less demanding, inflection bound in adjectives rather than subtle facial expressions, less intimidating for an engineer who planned out the most superficial conversations. Did he change the world with those views? Did he change his world?

Within the first year that I was involved in a small start-up, I stood before a very large state agency hearing, the lone voice calling for specific safety measures in the workplace. Stakeholders unanimously overrode me, citing expense, but it became law. Even the federal government adopted this measure. And although I was warned that inevitably someone would perish on the job, no one came close. This, in trades which run double the average risk. Did I change the industry?

We both found our voice. May you find yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment