Sunday, March 18, 2012

03.18.2012 Narrating A Life Written On The Road: The Beginning

03.18.2012

I sort of backed into truck driving. Sitting with longshoremen and other 4 AM breakfasters at the tideflat diner one morning, one regular customer at the counter suggested I sign up as an apprentice with the crane operators local. So I did. Awaiting a letter of acceptance (rejection never crossed my mind), picking up a bit of longshore work as an extra, I discovered an evening and weekend commercial driving course at the Vocational College. 

The American Civil Liberties Union nudged the Operating Engineers 3 years after I filed a claim. By then, I was well on my way to racking up my first million miles. 

Despite the dangers inherent in traveling solo among some truly questionable characters, I was spared any genuine injury, although I had some very close calls. So many tales well up from those days that they would fill a liars journal many times over. Many are too ridiculous to be made up. I hope you will enjoy them with me as I reminisce. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment