Sunday, March 10, 2013

03.10.2013 Narrating A Life Written On The Road: Cross Country Soap


Running for a meat hauler out of St. Paul kept me bouncing mostly between NYC and the Twin Cities, with rare trips South to Texas and the Midwest. My beau pushed paper from Wisconsin mills to NYC and points East also, and we would meet up occasionally as our paths crossed. One particular truck stop attracted many of my fellow meat haulers, including Carl, who was sweet on a waitress there.

Carl and my own beau worked together years earlier, had stayed in touch over time - as much as any over-the-road driver could maintain any social life in those pre-Facebook days. The three of us were gathered for coffee with several other drivers, discussing our next loads and destinations. The waitress topped off our coffees, asked conversationally about our destinations. Half a dozen of us were headed back to the Twin Cities to pick up loads bound for Texas, whereupon she stage-whispered to me, “Keep an eye on Carl for me!” Then she winked conspiratorially as she left.

A few days later, we were empty outside Dallas – Fort Worth, awaiting dispatch to our next destination. Company policy was to pay room charges beginning the second night, incentive for dispatchers to keep trucks loaded, and keep truckers from finding their own loads. Second day, everyone checked in at the local motel where all the meat haulers awaited dispatch.

The heart of Texas gets their fair share of winter weather, with drifting snow and temperatures either side of zero. Heading out to warm up the rig following next morning's dispatch, I noticed Carl's truck already running. I knocked on his room door, and he let me inside where it was warm while he finished with the hairdryer. I watched the weather forecast on the muted TV. The phone rang.

Trucker motels don't always attract the Knights of the Road. In fact, some rather unsavory characters traveled the highways in the days before reciprocity between agencies eliminated multiple drivers licenses and tracked felons a bit better. Trucker motels weren't the place to stop with your family, if you get my point. So the motel maids would call the room next door as they worked to ensure that the room was empty before arriving to clean.

I picked up the phone. “Hello?”
Who is THIS?!” demanded the Anglo voice at the other end.
I introduced myself, asked who I was addressing.
This is his WIFE! Where's CARL?!” she demanded.
Oh, I didn't know he had a wife,” I said, remembering the waitress. “He's drying his hair. I'll get him for you.”
Carl put down the hairdryer, and I left the room so he could speak privately to his wife. As several of us were headed to the packing plant some 250 miles distant, we traveled in a herd in case of breakdown on a remote stretch.

Carl finished up and off we went.

A week or two later, I crossed paths with my beau, and he told me a tale.
Now, I thrived on Agatha Christie mysteries, Clive Cussler novels and assorted other works of fiction. Of absolutely no interest to me were romances or TV soaps. I never read supermarket tabloids or celebrity rags, just wasn't interested in non-fiction outside the occasional biography. But many people adore soap operas.

My beau, traveling between Wisconsin and the East Coast on his regular runs stopped for coffee at that truck stop, where Carl's waitress poured coffee and filled him in on her version of the conversation between us. According to her, “that little b****” answered the phone in Carl's room, obviously after a wild night with Carl, and that waitress was going to get even by propositioning one of Carl's friends.

My beau turned her down (he said), but the next chapter featured her victory in this endeavor. Carl, for his part, felt that the score was NOT even (at least, not where I was concerned) and set out to even things up with one of her coworkers, in yet another installment of this drama.

Last I heard, they were still writing that tale, somewhere between scoring more points against each other and make-up encounters. To no one's surprise, I decided to take my coffee elsewhere, to avoid spit in my cup.


No comments:

Post a Comment