Friday, December 2, 2011

12.02.2011 Inclusive versus exclusive

12.02.2011

Julena, my surrogate daughter-in-law, brought a Thanksgiving feast to the house this year. She called early in the week, proposed an ambitious menu, and adjusted every dish to accommodate my allergy to all things Milk. 'I want to be in-clusive, not ex-clusive," she explained. And what a feast! No canned yams or cylindrical cranberry sauce at this table! Not everyone can pull it off like Julena . 

Big deal. So what makes this dinner stand out? Just this: nobody else noticed. Nothing was lacking, everything was delicious, and I was free to overindulge with the whole family. In-clusive, not ex-clusive. Not separate, but familial. Wikipedia describes "family" thus: 

"In human context, a family (from Latin: familia) is a group of people affiliated by consanguinity, affinity, or co-residence. In most societies it is the principal institution for the socialization of children."

Her smile upon her 10-month-old sons' face evidences faith that the world smiles with us. Sharing that sunshine is as natural as breathing, unconscious and unrestrained. Despite my rather solitary existence, she brings me into the circle by the simple yet powerful act of sitting down to break bread with me. A simple social convention.


But no bread ever tasted better.

No comments:

Post a Comment